The Vancouver Chapter of the Society of Catholic Scientists
SPECULATIO CUM DEVOTIONE,
INVESTIGATIO CUM ADMIRATIONE
- Wed, Apr 05Online (Google Meet)Apr 05, 4:00 p.m. PDTOnline (Google Meet)A short historical survey of the motivation, development and scope of Catholic health care. Catholic social teaching such as solidarity, the universal destination of goods, and the preferential option for the poor. The connection between monasticism and development of medicines.
- Multiple DatesThu, Apr 13Zoom (RSVP for link)
- Sat, May 06A Rocha Brooksdale Environmental Centre
- Fri, Jun 02Seton Hall UniversityJun 02, 6:00 p.m. EDT – Jun 04, 2:00 p.m. EDTSeton Hall University, 400 S Orange Ave, South Orange, NJ 07079, USAThe sixth annual conference of the Society of Catholic Scientists (SCS2023) will be held on June 2-4, 2023 (Friday evening to Sunday early afternoon) on the campus of Seton Hall University in South Orange, New Jersey. The university is located on 58 green acres just 14 miles south of New York City.
- Multiple DatesThu, Jun 15Zoom
As a student in today's University, you have grown up in a world that rightly places great value in scientific reasoning, and ways of knowing. However, what's often left out of the picture is the extent to which faith and philosophy gave rise to the development of the sciences, and continue to provide the basis for its advancement, and the means to complement and enrich the understanding of reality that it affords. It is important to strive for a well-rounded education, and seek a deeper understanding of the scope of the scientific method, its healthy reliance on many types of reason and ways of knowing, as well as its complementarity and mutually enriching relationship to faith. The Society of Catholic scientists is unique in this regard, providing a bridge between the latest developments of science, and its relationship to the Catholic faith.